By making a booking, you are accepting the terms and conditions set out below. Please read the terms and conditions prior to making a booking. We will be pleased to clarify any point on which you may have a query.
Booking Confirmation and Advance Payments:
A non-refundable booking deposit of £150.00 per week’s (or part week’s) hire must be paid for each booking made up to 6 weeks prior to the commencement of the hire period. The booking deposit is not refundable under any circumstances, and shall be deducted from the hire charges. The balance of the hire charges (less the booking deposit) is payable six weeks prior to the commencement of the agreed hire period. In the event that a booking is made within 6 weeks of the hire period, final payment will be due at the time of booking. In the event that monies are not paid and cancellation subsequently follows, full hire charges will still become due.
Confirmation of the booking details will be emailed to you after the deposit has been paid. Until a deposit payment has been made, your booking may not be confirmed. Our invoice will constitute our final confirmation.
In the event of cancellation by you:
All cancellations must be notified to South West Camper Hire Ltd in writing. All deposits paid are non-refundable, unless the Company cannot supply your requested vehicle. Please note that your booking deposit is not refundable beyond 7 days from when it is paid (Distance Selling Regulations). No hire charge will be refunded when there are 6 weeks or fewer until the commencement of hire. If you have made a late booking, the full hire rate will be due.
If you are unable to attend your chosen dates of hire, for example owing to illness, the Company are under no obligation to commute your hire and hire fees to another date. Hirers are advised to arrange their own holiday insurance to safeguard against such losses.
In the event of cancellation by South West Camper Hire:
South West Camper Hire will offer an alternative vehicle, or a full refund, if a vehicle reserved is not available due to accident, breakdown or other circumstances beyond our control. In the event that we are unable to supply a suitable vehicle, our liability is strictly limited to a full refund of all monies paid by you. We accept no liability for the cost of a replacement vehicle, travel expenses or any other subsequent loss. (Circumstances that we deem to be out of our control include - but are not limited to - vehicle breakdown, damage sustained to the vehicle and late returns by a previous hirer). We recommend that you also have current travel insurance.
In the event of snow or particularly hazardous driving conditions on collection day, the Company also reserve the right to cancel the hire. Hirers may commute the hire to another date up to a maximum of 30 days from the original date, and are advised to have travel insurance in place to claim for hire fees paid.
South West Camper Hire Ltd reserve the right to vary the hire rates, terms and conditions of hire, and to refuse to hire to any person without explanation or prior warning, to cancel the Hire in the event of invalid driving licences, incorrect information supplied on booking forms, customer ID requested is not supplied or correct, or if our Terms and Conditions are not met. The cost of the Hire will not be refunded in this instance.
Collection and Returns procedure:
The vehicle check out procedure takes approximately 30 - 40 minutes, as there will be a lot of information to go through - so please allow time for this when planning your trip. Final collection time is 1700hrs, as the yard closes at 1730. Customers arriving later than this for whatever reason, unless agreed in advance, will be subject to late opening fee of £25 per hour of part thereof – and should be advised that, in certain circumstances, late collection may not be possible.
All hirers must supply a £750 refundable security deposit (credit/debit card number). This may be reduced to £350 for an additional fee.
You must have the following documentation when collecting the vehicle:
• 1 recent proof of home address for the main driver within the last 3 months (Utility bills or bank statements are acceptable); and
• Your UK driver’s licence for each person who is to drive the vehicle. If you only have an old style paper licence, please bring that in addition to 1 form of photo ID.
• Drivers from overseas must present their driver's licence and a passport.
We cannot release the vehicle without these items being present at the time of collection, and hire fees may be forfeit.
Please check the times for collection and return carefully. If a vehicle is not returned by the time shown on the rental agreement, a charge of £50 for each hour, or part thereof, will apply. Should the late return of the vehicle make us liable for any extra costs (such as compensation for the next hirer), we reserve the right to request reimbursement of these costs from you. Please return your vehicle on time. If, for any reason, you will be late, please call South West Camper Hire to notify us of your expected time of arrival.
By signing the rental agreement, you agree that you will:
• Return the Vehicle to South West Camper Hire Ltd in the same condition as it was received - ordinary wear and tear excepted - on the due date specified;
• Not use the Vehicle for hire or reward, nor use it in violation of any law, ordinance or regulation, nor remove it (without prior written consent of South West Camper Hire Ltd) from the UK mainland; (classic vans not to be taken outside Devon / Cornwall / Dorset or Somerset).
• Limit the mileage to 1000 miles per week of hire (pro rata for shorter hires), thereafter subject to a 50p/mile surcharge.
• Not carry more passengers than the seating capacity of the vehicle, or allow the vehicle to be overloaded;
• Maintain the correct level of engine oil and coolant (where applicable). Failure to do so may result in engine damage, for which the Hirer will be fully responsible;
• Be responsible for the Additional Charges set out below;
• Further protect the interests of the Insurer and South West Camper Hire Ltd by ensuring the vehicle is always parked as safely as possible, locked when unattended, and the keys are secure;
• Authorise South West Camper Hire Ltd to verify through credit agencies, the DVLA or any other sources - personal, driving and credit information provided by hirer and any additional drivers;
• Not operate the Vehicle, or permit the Vehicle to be operated in, any way that would violate this contract - including, but not limited to:
• Any person under 27 or over 75 years of age driving the vehicle;
• Driving in motor sport events (including racing, pace making, rallying, reliability trials, and speed testing);
• Being used to propel or tow any vehicle or trailer;
• Any person driving the vehicle when unfit through drink or drugs or with blood alcohol concentration above the limit prescribed for the time being by road traffic legislation;
• By any other person other than the hirer or additional Driver(s using the vehicle);
• Using the vehicle under authority of any licence other than his own;
• If you or any driver leaves the car unlocked or fails to secure the keys;
• In a reckless or imprudent manner or if the vehicle is deliberately damaged.
Charges and liabilities:
In addition to the agreed rental rate, you may become liable for the following charges:
• All fines and court costs for parking, traffic or other legal violations assessed against the Vehicle whilst the vehicle is under your control. You are liable as if the owner of the vehicle in respect of:
• Any fixed penalty offence committed in respect of that Vehicle under the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988; any excess parking charge which may be incurred in respect of that Vehicle in pursuance of an Order under Sections 45 and 46 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 or the Road Traffic Act 1991 during the period of hire.
• Any uninsurable damages - including wheel & tyre damage, windscreen damage, and any internal damages or breakages - howsoever caused;
• A £100.00 charge in the event that the vehicle is returned to us with a toilet cassette which has not been suitably emptied and cleaned;
• A £150.00 charge in the event that the vehicle smells of tobacco smoke;
• A charge of £2.50 per litre of fuel required to return the fuel level to that marked on the checkout sheet at the commencement of hire, in the event that you fail to refuel the vehicle (there is a petrol station in our village);
• A cleaning charge of up to £100.00 in the event that the vehicle is not returned in a similar condition in which it was rented out;
• A charge of £75.00 in the event that the Tracker device fitted to the vehicle indicates that the vehicle has exceeded a sustained speed of 80mph. (This is to attempt to ensure hirer and passenger safety, as camper vans and motorhomes are unstable over these speeds);
• A mileage charge of £0.50 per mile in excess of your allocated amount (1000 miles for a week, ie: 425 for a three day hire);
• A call out charge for loss of camper keys of £100.00, plus mileage at £0.50 per mile and the cost of the keys / recoding etc.
• In the event that items are missing from the inventory, a charge to replace missing items will be made;
• An insurance policy excess charge of £750.00 for each incident claimed on the motor insurance policy, if the cost of the claim is expected to exceed this amount. If the claim cost is less than the policy excess, you will be liable for the full claims costs. In the event of South West Camper Hire Ltd receiving from the third party any part of the amount to reimburse the policy excess payment made and provided you have performed your obligations hereunder, South West Camper Hire Ltd shall repay to the hirer the like part of such excess;
• General internal and bodywork damage will be charged out at cost plus an Administration Charge of up to 10% of the total costs associated with the repair costs (to cover ordering and collecting parts, obtaining quotes for repairs, delivering vehicles for repair, invoicing);
• If, due to your negligence (such as, but not limited to: driving through flood water, driving into an overhead object), it is necessary for the vehicle to undergo repairs, you may additionally be liable for the full cost of repairing damage to the actual Vehicle supplied, administrative fees, plus loss of revenue at the prevailing daily rate (up to the value of one month's full rate hire of the vehicle). South West Camper Hire Ltd has the sole right and responsibility to repair the Vehicle. Damage should be reported to the office as soon as possible and in any event within 24 hours after the Vehicle was damaged;
• In the event of the theft of the vehicle owing to your negligence (such as leaving it unsecured, or through loss of keys), you will be responsible for the excess, administrative fees plus loss of revenue at the prevailing daily hire rate (up to the value of one month's full rate hire of the vehicle) following the incident. If the vehicle is stolen, it should be reported immediately, and in any event within 24 hours, after the Vehicle was stolen. It should also be reported to the Police immediately and a crime reference number should also be obtained;
• Any costs, including reasonable legal fees where permitted by law, incurred collecting payments due from hirer hereunder.
• In the event that full payment is not made after 28 days of invoice, a reminder will be sent, 14 days thereafter the account will be passed to our collections agency incurring an extra charge of 15 % (+VAT) of the total balance due. You agree as part of this contract to pay this sum which represents our reasonable costs in collecting the unpaid amounts.
All charges are subject to final audit.
You agree to allow South West Camper Hire Ltd to compute and debit final charges from Credit/Debit Card, if that is the form of payment used by you. If you seriously breach this agreement, you agree to cease using the Vehicle and to pay all expenses incurred in returning Vehicle to the collection point of rental.
Insurance / Eligibility:
Fully Comprehensive insurance is included within the stated hire charge. You are advised to also take out additional personal holiday insurance.
The vehicle is insured for the contracted period of hire ONLY. You must therefore notify South West Camper Hire Ltd in the event that the vehicle will be returned late. Failure to do this may result in the vehicle not being insured for your use and may incur a traffic offence under the Road Traffic Act.
An insurance policy excess of £1000.00 is payable by you for each incident claimed against the insurance policy, where it be for vehicle damage, fire damage or the theft of the vehicle. This applies to all vehicles if the cost of repairing damages in relation to any given incident should exceed the excess amount. Should repairs cost less than the insurance excess amount, they will be charged to the Hirer at cost plus the Admin Charge – to cover items such as driving to obtain quotes, collecting repair parts. See Overhead Objects and Flooding for exclusions.
South West Camper Hire Ltd reserve the right to charge any amount up to the insurance excess along with any associated costs against the drivers' or hirers' credit/debit card provided.
Accepting these Terms indicates authorisation to South West Camper Hire Ltd to be able follow this process if required.
Drivers must be over the age of 27 and under the age of 75, in good health, and must have held a full UK driving licence for a minimum of 5 years. Drivers from overseas must produce a valid Licence for their country of origin. Previous accidents or convictions may add a surcharge (usually around £1.00 per day per conviction - convictions under a year old may cost around £2.00 per day). Drivers with more than three driving convictions in the past three years cannot be accepted. We regret that we are unable to insure unemployed persons, students, or scrap metal merchants.
No one other than the drivers named in the insurance proposal form may drive the vehicle.
Collision Damage Excess Reducer (CDR) is an extra insurance that can be taken out for the duration of the hire period. CDR reduces the excess on your hire from £750 to £350 and covers any Tyre or Windscreen damage.
CDR does not cover damage to the following: awnings, windows, wing mirrors, internal damages, late return fees, associated damage costs, VAT, check in surcharges, insurance surcharges, or a claim arising from the theft of the motorhome whilst out on hire.
Overhead Objects and Flooding
All drivers must be aware of the unusually high nature of these vehicles when driving under low bridges, canopies, car parks etc. The headroom clearance is usually stated within the driver’s field of vision. Drivers are also not permitted to take vehicles through road flood water under any circumstances. Damage to the vehicle caused through road flood water or collision with an overhead object (any damage above a height of 6’) is classed as negligence – as such the insurance excess and CDR will be deemed to not apply - and repairs and any costs arising (ie: cancellation of subsequent hires up to a period of one month) will be charged in full to the Hirer.
You shall, in the event of an incident that results in damage to the Vehicle, ensure that:
• The driver of the Vehicle completes and delivers to South West Camper Hire Ltd the relevant accident report and photos within 48 hours after the end of the hire period.
• No admission of liability is made to any person in relation to such accident;
• Any writ of summons, summons or other document relating to any proceeding arising out of such accident is forthwith delivered to South West Camper Hire Ltd at the address on the motor rental agreement;
• All assistance is rendered to South West Camper Hire Ltd and its insurers to the conduct of such proceedings including without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing permitting such proceedings to be brought by South West Camper Hire Ltd in the name of the hirer and defending any proceedings brought against the hirer;
• You shall pay or reimburse South West Camper Hire Ltd against all losses, liabilities, costs, actions, claims or demands which it may incur or have brought or made against it in relation to the Vehicle or its use and which are not recoverable under a policy of insurance whether the same is effected by South West Camper Hire Ltd or hirer;
• The names and addresses of all witnesses thereto are collected and given to South West Camper Hire Ltd.
South West Camper Hire provide Repair and Recovery Services in the event of an accident or breakdown. We will advise you of this procedure when you collect the van. A full Breakdown Relay service is provided if the vehicle cannot be repaired by the road side.
Whilst we make every effort to ensure our vehicles are in full working order – we will not accept liability for consequential losses or claims arising from breakdown, accident or other cause. We will, however, do our utmost to provide you with a replacement vehicle, subject to availability, or offer a refund.
Parking at our base:
The hirer may park one vehicle free of charge and at his/her own risk (which will be locked away and under cover) for the period of the hire. A second vehicle may be parked for a fee of £10 per week.
For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1984, South West Camper Hire Ltd or any subsidiary of South West Camper Hire Ltd may hold and process by computer or otherwise the information given to South West Camper Hire Ltd by the hirer or any Additional Driver to identify other products or services which might be relevant and for statistical analysis.
Personal Information supplied will be disclosed to a third party for identity validation purposes subject to a Data Protection Act request.
The vehicle is fitted with a Tracker device. South West Camper Hire Ltd will view the information recorded by Tracker in the event that the vehicle is not returned at the designated time, in the event that the vehicle is returned with damage, or in the event that the Tracker system notifies that the vehicle has been exceeding a sustained speed of 80mph.